Thursday, August 28, 2014

How to conduct revision activity in a collaborative way


Hello everyone,

I am back with one more blog. This time my blog is about a collaborative way of conducting a revision activity.

Not so long ago, I had read about this interesting way of conducting revision in classroom on facebook page 'Gateway'. It was a post by David Spencer (if I remember it apt). I have tried it in my class too. Trust me, it works. Here is how it goes:

a) I divided the class in 5 groups of 4 members each.

b) I chose a unit and asked students to frame questions assigned to them. (1st group was asked to prepare fill in the blanks questions, 2nd group was asked to prepare match the following questions, 3rd group was asked to prepare questions for short answers, 4th group was asked to prepare descriptive answers and 5th group was asked to prepare True or False questions.

c) I gave them time limit of 12-15 minutes. I monitored around to ensure that all the students are involved in the group. I also helped students to frame questions appropriately.

d) Then, I swapped the questions with other groups. I asked them to read the questions first and then answer them in groups. For this they were given 12 - 15 minutes.

e) I monitored through out and saw that everyone was into it.
At the end I was intrigued to see their faces smiling.

Advantages of this technique:


1) They read the lesson.

2) They produce language (I guess they love being given a chance to ask questions which is usually considered only teacher's right)

3) Their thinking skill is encouraged

4) They answer questions produced by their peers. (It gives different satisfaction I guess)

I loved this technique. It has helped my students a lot. I am sure it will work for your students too.

All the best. Happy Teaching!!!

Please leave comments after reading this blog.

4 comments:

  1. You can conduct this activity after each unit for better retention of knowledge. You may also use this activity to introduce different types of questions to students which they will face in final exam or board exams.

    ReplyDelete